Paul Meyer Buys Houses

what did you want to be when you were little, teenager, now?

I think about what I wanted to be when I was little and the answer is simple – a policeman. As I got older as a teenager it swithced to being a professional musician and playing concerts. Finally when reality hit in when I was around 21 I knew being a policeman had such much responsibility and rules. As for being a rockstar I just didn’t have the talent or discipline to constantly play my guitar, keyboards, and Dj equipment. Also my friends that were talented musicians never granted me enlightenhood into any of their bands so I would get better and stay motivated. Lastly once I became a real adult with some responsibilities and was active in business I knew that poor people can get rich and have a sweet life. What I’m finding out still everyday is that is does take a lot of effort and support to strike a great deal that makes you successful in business. I always founding trading stocks as something I have control of and could declare my own destiny. I’m still finding it hard to actually be a disciplined, managed, and focused trader. This probably one of the reasons I’m still a little poor bastard and pathetic sounding around women. I guess if you are a guy and you aren’t really great at anything your confidence level must be getting lower and lower the older and older you get.

Now I’m not saying I haven’t gotten experiences. I’ve gotten a lot of them, but that’s about it. I have learned a lot about how to manage, run, and market a business, but just not one that’s actually made any money. I’ve also learned how to follow stocks, understand candlesticks/emotions, and read the news but I’m still losing tons of money each year. My dad made a point that like I mentioned above “you have 100% control being a trader”. That statement is very true. You have the power to buy, hold, and sell at 99% of the time (unless the market is closed/closed due to crazy event). The fact is though if you can control the bigger factors like your emotions and brain focus being a successful wealthy traders shouldn’t be out of your control. So I guess that gives me hope as a little guy.

Well so far I’ve paid of 25% of my debt on the repairs on my new place I’m living which will eventually be rented out. I’m pretty sure within 2 more months I will have paid off the remaining 75% or total of $8,500. The big one I REALLY want to pay off is my student loan I used for investment that went bad which is currently $43,000 @ 12%/30 years. Fuck. I’m really going to need to focus on my trading to pay it off quickly within the next year.

So I’m interested in what you wanted to be 10-20-30 years ago and what you are doing now. Is it something you want to do?

3 responses

  1. As a kid I wanted to be a model or a musician – now that’s really lame especially the model part. Thinking back I don’t know what I was thinking. It seemed fun – fame, fortune, travels and glam.

    Like yourself having a real job and experience in a career where I want to grow has shaped my perspective and future jobs. I work in the world of intl business and i want to stay in this business advancing into a challenging role involving operations and compliance. Developing my small business idea exporting music and also work on documentary photography is also important to me and something i balance in between my current work.

    September 25, 2008 at 6:30 pm

  2. thanks for the comment. i think no matter what you should persue what you love. i suppose the smarter you get the more open you think to what you become. i have to admit there isn’t anything more sexy then a women in international business. i think being just a model would belittle your inspirations now that i think of it being a biz nerd.


    September 26, 2008 at 4:01 am

  3. clarkscottroger

    ‘Cellent Post. (New to this blog thing), it amazing how wide reaching this all is.
    Not that it means anything that I can do anything directly about, but I saw a figure that cited 100MM as the current number of blogs in the etherworld at present.
    Jeez goddamn.
    Plus I liked your (use of) word ‘enlightenhood’. If you get a chance to visit my blog ( I would welcome any feedback from reader.

    September 23, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s